Library & Information Week has just kicked off! This is the perfect opportunity to check out your local library and see what events they’re hosting and acknowledge and support the library’s contributions to the community.
Public libraries are more than just for borrowing books. They allow the community a place to go, that’s free of charge, without expectations and filled with ample opportunities. With workshops, storytimes, access to computers and so much more; There’s something for everyone at the library!
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Find out about the wide range of services that libraries offer.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government’s approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.
The theme for this year is Truth, Integrity, Knowledge (TIK). This theme recognises all the ways that qualified library staff and libraries support and further these ideals.
As part of this week’s events, on Wed May 22 there’ll be the National Simultaneous Storytime. Every year a picture book, written and illustrated by an Australian author and illustrator, is read simultaneously in libraries, schools, pre-schools, childcare centres, family homes, bookshops and many other places around the country. Now in its 19th successful year, it is a colourful, vibrant, fun event that aims to promote the value of reading and literacy. Check out your local branch for information on how you can be part of this wonderful event.
Keep up to date on all the latest news and events by following us on social media – Join in the conversation and let us know what you love about the library!